Friday, February 22, 2013
Enigma
Have you ever taken a good look at the world around you? Have you ever wondered why you were where you were? Did you ever tell yourself that you would venture beyond your borders to seek whatever else might be lurking around the corner?
If you answered yes, then may we be the first to congratulate your brave intrepid decision.
If you answered no, well honestly, we hope you don't grow to hate us too much.
In the year...well, actually the year isn't important. What is important though is what happened and who it happened to. One group of people had a vision for the world; a vision of peace, harmony and an end to all conflict. It was originally fueled by good honest intentions and it would have succeeded, but as with all good things, those with cruel intentions and vicious schemes took control. Slowly but surely, the creators of this plan were forced to watch as their brainchild was twisted in ways they had never intended....
_________________________________________________________
PART I
the cradle
Enigma Corporation was founded years ago, and nobody remembers who was originally in charge. It sprouted up during The War and they had some really good ideas. All they wanted to do was help the world heal its scars so that everybody could come together, hand in hand, and finally work together. But, somewhere along the line, something went wrong. No one knows when it began to happen, and I don't think we're allowed to know, but bad things were starting to come up out of the cracks of Enigma. People within the company who idealized the original philosophy slowly began to disappear. The small satellite countries who still vied for more power began to grow in strength and influence. Conniving minds with strange illicit thoughts began to rise in political power and worst of all, Enigma's CEO Thomas Midwell seized the presidency. The men of Midwell's family have held onto power for centuries and have molded the world according to their vision. The world today, is a dark desperate place filled with nothing but the empty shells of a thousand shattered promises. We all need a place to belong but there is no longer room for people if they do not fit into Enigma's seductively twisted scheme.
____________________________________________________
CHAPTER ONE
Gray-City 247
' Dear sir/ma'am,
We wish to thank you for you interest in our summer internship. We have carefully reviewed your application and reached the decision that it does not quite meet our company standards. We are most regrettably sorry and hope that you spend the next year striving to join us next year.
Again, we wish you could join the force that is shaping the world, but it seems that first you must shape yourself.
With sincere regards,
Enigma Corporation '
I never filled out that application, no one ever does. But the letters always come in the mail, and what they tell you is more important than whether or not you have passing grades. If it says you've been accepted into the program, than who cares if you're a straight A honor student? Honestly, the dumber you look on paper means you might be easier to brainwash, right? But if it's a rejection, than you can kiss any chance of success outside the world of burgers and fries goodbye....and in this world what you do is the only thing that matters. For instance, the schools are all separated into districts and where you go depends on where your parents work. Is your dad a scientist for the cause? Great for you, you get to go to school in District One. Kids go to Districts Two-Four if their parents are in legal and accounting. Five and Six are for the marketing and the press. District Seven belongs solely to those who work outside of Enigma. Sometimes kids in Seven get lucky enough to jump up in the chain, but usually, they get stuck in the same rut their parents forced them into.
You may be wondering who I am, and I can honestly tell you that I'm nobody important. Most days, I'm the shadow on the wall when you're shuffling through the subway and somedays I'm the banging sound you hear when you're home alone. See what I mean? I'm nobody. But you can call me Maddie Gray and I am in District Seven....My story may not make any sense to you, but hang in there. I promise, it will be worth it in the end.
Monday
Mrs. Hoffman's History Class
10:35 AM
“...And in the end, Germany was attacked by the unquestionable power of China. Together with the United States and Russia, Germany was able to withstand the invading forces for three decades. But after thirty years and the fall of the U.S., China was finally able to force its way into power. Twenty years after the change in power, German rebels began to crawl out of the woodwork. To this day, the struggle for power between China and the German rebels remains as strong as ever.
For tonight's assignment, I want each of you to write a thousand word essay, detailing the ninety year power struggle in Germany. It will be due tomorrow at the end of class, so be sure to complete this one. Any questions?”
Hoffman stands up behind her desk the way she did after each of her lectures. She just gazed around the classroom, watching for the hand that we all knew would slowly raise with the questions she could not answer.
“ Hoffman, why do you never teach us anything that came before The War? Isn't that history important as well?” With an inward groan, the entire class turned toward the direction of the question. Sitting in the back with his hand still raised, was Adrian Skye. Adrian was constantly curious about the time before The War, and that was a topic that nobody seemed to know much about. Everything pre-war was considered to be contraband and it seemed like even the President knew nothing about it. But still, Adrian searched relentlessly for anything that might show why the world turned out the way it did.
“ Mr. Skye, you know just as well as I do, that your question does not relate to the subject matter of my class. If you really want to know, then I suggest you raise your grades enough to get into a higher level class later on.”
And with that, the bell rang, signaling the end of class. Finally, it was time for lunch. Trudging off to my locker, I thought about the letter I still had in my pocket. 'does not quite meet our company standards' Does this mean that I've been judged unworthy of success or could I really get another chance at a decent life? Sliding to a stop in front of my grungy blue locker, I stop to consider changing my shoes. Glancing down at my watch, I determine that there isn't enough time. I fight with my lock, yank open my locker to deposit my history books, as well as the letter and grab my lunch from the corner. Slamming the door shut, I turn around and walk towards the cafeteria, kicking the trash as I make my way down the hall.
I make it not even halfway down the hall before I'm stopped by a hall monitor.
“And where do you think you're going?”
“ To lunch.”
“Oh really? Let me see your ID.”
“Um, are you new to this, because everyone is at lunch right now. Seriously, I just want to go eat something before the bell.”
“No, I've been doing this for two weeks and I have never seen you in this sector of the hall before. Show me your ID or we'll have some problems.”
“Shit, calm down. Here, see I'm supposed to be here. My locker is in this hall. Usually I buy lunch, but this week I'm saving cash for a CD I want.”
The kid passes me my ID and gives me a weird look.
“Whatever.”
This had to be the oddest encounter with a hall monitor I have ever had. Usually, they leave me alone. I don't mess with them, and they don't bother me. It's really that simple. So for one to single me out like that, during lunch of all times, was unnerving. I'm still mulling over the conversation when I enter the cafeteria and start scanning the room for an empty table. I spot one in the far back corner, not too far from the over flowing trash cans. With a sigh, I start to head towards it. Nobody is going to leave their table any time soon.
♦♦♦♦♦
Monday
Gray Residence
4:55 PM
“I'M HOME!” With a loud thud and several muffled bangs, my mother manages to gracefully carry several packages into the living room.
“Here mom, let me get some of those.”
I grab four from her arms and take them into the kitchen. She follows me carrying the rest and starts to help me put things away.
“So, how was your day, Maddie?”
“It was no different from every other day mom, but I uh, kinda got a letter this morning...”
“What do you mean by kinda?”
“Well, it's a one of those letters that Enigma sends out. You know, the ones about their internships.”
“What did it say?”
“It said, We wish to thank you for you interest in our summer internship. We have carefully reviewed your application and reached the decision that it does not quite meet our company standards. We are most regrettably sorry and hope that you spend the next year striving to join us next year.
Again, we wish you could join the force that is shaping the world, but it seems that first you must shape yourself. But, it's whatever.”
The fact that they as a company, can access personal information should be a red flag to the country, right? But, nobody seems to care. Whether or not they get into Enigma, the world seems content to turn the other cheek to the little things they do. My mom won't admit to it, but I think she desperately wants in. She puts in application after application, and even though the answer never changes she never stops.
“It looks like you are going to spend this summer working. I know a small office downtown where you can go. Your uncle used to file their paper work, maybe he can get you a spot...”
As she goes to find the phone I wander back towards my room. Working is not how I imagined spending my summer. Honestly, I hadn't even thought about what I was going to do. I could hear her chattering away like a little bird, talking to my uncle. To put off the 'Maddie has a summer project' talk I decided to take a nap before dinner. Here goes nothing, world. Wish me luck......
Monday
Gray Residence
8:40 PM
Predictably, just as the water comes to a boil, my mother walks into the room with the biggest grin on her almost child like face.
“So, I just got of the phone with your uncle, and you'll never guess what happened!”
“Hmm, the office he used to work for burned to the ground five years ago, so now I have to look for work somewhere else.”
“No silly. He got you the job and you can start before school gets out. They are willing to let you work weekends and then start full time once school lets out. Isn't that wonderful?”
I toy with the idea of telling her how I really feel about all of this, but I suddenly can't stand the thought of upsetting her.
“Yeah mama, that's wonderful. Thank you.”
She bounced out of the kitchen, leaving me standing in front of the stove, wondering what the hell I just got myself into. Contemplating my fate, I opened the box of pasta and poured the noodles into the pot. Into another pot I mixed tomato paste, ground beef and garlic butter. Dinner tonight is a simple spaghetti, something my mom never gets tired of eating. I, myself, plan on ordering pizza as soon as she goes to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment